Applications Our permanent magnets can be effectively used for a wide range of applications covering a broad spectrum of industries. Some of them are listed below.
SOME IMPORTANT DO’S AND DONT’S
• PERMANENT Magnets are ‘Permanent’ only in the sense that they do not require external energy for their operation. It must be borne in mind that they are not ‘Permanent’ in the absolute sense of the word. But they will almost always outlast the products in which they are used provided a few simple rules are observed. However, if we overlook these rules, the magnets may lose their strength and usefulness.
• Hence the following DO’s & DONT’s :
• HAVE regard for their intrinsic properties and also for their physical limitations
• AVOID storing magnets in contact with ferrous objects such as steel shelves and mechanical tools like wrenches, screw drivers, etc.
• AVOID handling magnets in magnetised condition as far as possible and NEVER bring like poles of two magnets together.
• When storing magnets in magnetised condition, especially Alnico U-shape magnets, DO NOT store them in open circuit condition. The best practice is to provide pole keepers or to keep them in pairs with unlike poles in close contact.
• DO magnetise the magnets in the final assembly form and DO NOT disturb the assembled condition. This precaution is especially necessary when Alnico magnets are used in a closed circuit assembly.
• DO NOT overheat the magnets. In the case of Alnico magnets especially NEVER raise their temperature above 550°C. This will cause harmful structural changes in the material .
• DO NOT keep magnets in the vicinity of strong magnetic or electric fields. Permanent magnet materials are very hard but at the same time they are brittle. Hence DO NOT subject them to severe stress of vibrations or mechanical impacts. They can damage the magnet physically.
• DO NOT try to drill them, turn them on lathe or cut them (except for very small cross-sections). Use only abrasive grinding for sizing operation.
YOU CAN HELP US TO HELP YOURSELVES
CHOOSING A MAGNET FROM THE EXISTING PRODUCT RANGE
Since the development of a new magnet almost always involves considerable time and cost, it is advisable to choose an item from the range of already developed magnets provided it can be adapted to meet the requirement of the desired application. Sometimes this may necessitate a few minor changes to be made in your assembly, but it is worth while to do so. The advantage is that you save on the development cost and the initial deliveries can be much faster. This is especially true when the requirement is small. We in Dura Magnets will be glad to help you in this task.
If you feel that nothing in our existing product range will suit your purpose, you are welcome to send us your detailed enquiries and we shall be glad to develop a magnet tailored to meet your specific requirements. For this purpose, please furnish as much of the following information as possible.
• A drawing showing clearly all dimensions, surfaces requiring ground finish with mechanical tolerances thereon and the direction of orientation, that is , the direction in which the magnet will be finally magnetised in the assembly.
• Name of the magnetic material/alloy grade( if known) and the principal magnetic parameters, viz. Remanence (Br), Coercivity (Hc) and Maximum Energy product (BH max).
• Application or the end-product and the function expected of the magnet.
• If samples are readily available, they would be a great help.
• Expected monthly/yearly/lotwise quantity requirement.
• Whether magnets are to be supplied in magnetised or unmagnetised condition.
• Any other important information.